Monday, December 11, 2006

Flying Away

So, I'm at the airport. They have a little desk for me with a power outlet and free wireless internet while I wait a little while for boarding to begin. A nice woman, unusually alert and awake for such an early hour (4:30) checked me in (even though I went through self check-in) just because "it's so much faster than that machine"...and it was fast.

The shops and restaurants are closed, dark behind all the bright and attractive marketing. Some have metal gates pulled down, protecting them from curious airport patrons in the same situation as I. In others the Holiday specials tempt potential buyers, out of reach for those of us who have chosen to fly before the rest of humanity begins their collective day.

I think I'll enjoy my quiet flight into Phoenix, just like I'll enjoy my time there. Boarding has started, I suppose I should go find out.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I've read this over a couple times, and for some reason, it evokes such a sad feeling/imagery... empty? contemplative? wistful? Some combination maybe?

I can even see some guy (you!) typing away in his carrel, wearing a coat, his laptop bag on the floor near his shoes. Kind of out of place against the stark, white, fluorescent lights because of the lack of activity, but understandable given the location...

It's sort of humanizing. I go to airports a lot to pick up/drop off, which means I'm usually waiting a lot, and I've always wondered what people are doing/going/thinking... Next time, I'll keep in mind that maybe one of those people in the carrels are blogging about leaving. =)