Friday, December 29, 2006

Coffee is for the Weak!

I like to start my morning with a shower - I try to make it the first thing I do after I wake up. It's kind of a nice way to start the day and it really does help me get my eyes open if I'm tired (that can happen when you don't always get enough sleep). Anyway, about a week ago I tried a new technique to heighten my morning alertness. Near the end of my routine, I'll change the water temperature to, well, very cold (I know Jason, it's important to use the word very sparingly. That's my first time). Not surprisingly, it works wonders. It's a funny way to artificially kick start the body by initiating some kind of panic reflex. I try to leave it running for about 10 seconds before I switch back to warm to get warm again.

Well, this morning I found an even better method. Instead of just 10 seconds of cold in the shower, try waking up in a house with no central heating and a fire that went out hours ago at about, oh, 6 in the morning with an inside temperature of maybe 35-40 degrees.

Then walk a half mile to a neighbors house in even cold temperatures without proper warmth-enhancing attire.

Finally, bring some wood up and take the 10 minutes to really get a fire started. I wanted to want to go to sleep, but I just couldn't make myself want to anymore. I was awake.



PS: Pictures courtesy of Matt's Christmas gift to me. Wow! A fire!

5 comments:

Lydia said...

BOOOO!

"coffee is for the weak," huh? haha you sound just like danielle. I wasn't allowed to drink coffee the entire time she was here: "It's so bad for your heaalth! Just drink water!"

Psh - you guys just have a misplaced sense of strength.

Coffee = Alert = Good

PS: oo, a real fire in a real fire place... ;)

Anonymous said...

Morcheeba is good too - you should check it out if you like Portishead. Even better with a cup of coffee, but try Vicadin and a couple of beers if the coffee is too weak.

Aaron said...

Jason, Jason, no reason to hide behind a veil of anonymity. Make your comments proudly...even if that pride is unfounded.

GoddessBabe said...

Aaron - OH GAWD!!! We have parallel lives! "When I was your age......... I used to get up, start the fire and then split the wood for the NEXT day's fire while the house warmed up!"

Good for you!!

Anonymous said...

Ahhh - so in the end you believe in showing a facade of confidence, even where there truly is ignorance?