Thursday, December 28, 2006

Confidence and Ignorance

Ever notice how confidence and ignorance are so often paired? It's almost like a scale when it comes to some topics: the more confident you are, the less you know about it. The adage is true: the more you know, the more you realize you don't know. Logical deduction allows me to, uh, deduce that the less you don't realize you don't know, the less you know (It's pretty much a direct inverse relationship).

The reason I bring this up is a friend recently mentioned that I seem really confident in my world view and personal aspirations. At first, I took this as a compliment to my strong values, but now I'm wondering if maybe it was a subtle insult that I wasn't supposed to catch. I have to admit...that would be pretty funny!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always get that confidence bullcrap from people who are just plain outsmarted by me. Which is most of the time. Which is why I have become even more confident. Its a vicious circle that I've had to learn to live with.

Speaking of direct inverse relationships, I had one with your mother last night. Now that's what you call mixin old school w/ math school baby! (and maybe a touch of dork school).