Friday, February 16, 2007

Do all fascist dictators go to heaven?

I asked my high school Physics teacher if Hitler went to heaven.

"If he believed that what he was doing was right, then he tried to do the right thing more than most people do. Doesn't that matter? If his motivation was to do the right thing, then why should he be punished?"

I can't remember the entirety of the discussion, but I do remember that the issue primarily boils down to whether or not there is a universal sense of right and wrong. Is what Hitler did wrong regardless of how he felt, or was it "OK" if he felt that what he was doing was the right thing?

Well, my (Christian) teacher made his viewpoint quite clear when he expressed his disappointment that I even had that question - how could I doubt that there was a universal good and bad? [aside: Let me take a second to point out that our discussion took place during class time: yes, I was basically defending Hitler before a group of my peers]

There is an important point to make: both then and now, I can't say I understand Hitler's motivation. I haven't even read a biography on the man, and I don't plan to. I do have a statement to make on the matter: I do think that there is a "universal" right and wrong, but I think the only place to find it is internally. I can't say I understand how, but I think that our conscience provides us with a tool to judge our actions "goodness". If I were to speculate, I would speculate that Hitler did not act in accordance with his conscience - he ignored his feelings in favor of his distorted reason.

In this sense, there is a danger in ignoring what we feel: while reason is an invaluable tool in life, it can be dangerous to make it our only tool. If we completely shut out feelings, we are nothing but cold, calculating robots.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

you assume that we all have a conscience - clarify, please.

(i say we're warm, calculatED robots.)

Aaron said...

I think we all have a conscience...but we don't all pay attention to it.