Monday, April 20, 2009

Shattering Idols

I'm going through Ben Franklin's biography - something I'm long overdue for, given my support of the man. He really accomplished so many spectacular things in his life.

What's interesting, though, is that he's human.

My 20s have really been a period of enrichment, maturation, and realizations. Introspection has helped me to recognize my limitations and flaws - I've never had a problem finding my strengths or confidence. There was a time when my recognition of these flaws was discouraging and disheartening. It's frustrating to deal with "minor" problems like motivation and bad habits when there are "more important" things you want to do with your life (please excuse the use of quotes - they're meaningful, but won't be explained here).

Experience and education have brought me another kind of knowledge - the knowledge of the humanity of everyone. Be it Einstein or Franklin, Paulo Coehlo or Stephen Covey, everyone has more than just personal demons to overcome - we all have personal flaws that we do not overcome. We all have weaknesses, and likely share weaknesses...and many of the most successful people never truly deal with them - their success comes in spite of personal flaws, or at least regardless of them.

I will no longer idolize people. I will admire people for their achievements. I might strive to match their determination or some other commendable quality, but I will not look up at them with naivete or deference to their superiority. I will look to my side, and attempt to see the man or woman who has done something extraordinary.

No comments: